Yellowstone Wealth Advisors is a Houston-based financial planning, advising, investment management, and registered investment advisory (RIA) firm. We provide psychologically-informed financial advising primarily for entrepreneurs, academics, physicians, business owners, and other busy professionals. Our founder has held many of those occupations, and understands the challenges and opportunities with busy professional careers.
We are a fiduciary, which means we hold our client’s best interests at heart in all decisions we make. We also realize that people are not always rational and logical in how we think, spend, and invest, and we tend to be led by our feelings and other biases. Using behavioral techniques, we help you better understand your own behaviors and tendencies, so that we can align risk, investment philosophies, and saving patterns accordingly. We are highly differentiated from the masses of financial advisors.
We are among the less than 1% of all financial advisors who are licensed, certified, hold a PhD in business, and deeply understand both behavioral finance and economics.
We are a fiduciary. As a fiduciary to our clients, your goals and needs are our first priority. We only offer fee-only services, and do not receive any bonuses or commissions from others. We specialize in holistic, client-centered financial planning for retirement, education, estates, and other life goals. We do not sell specific insurance or investment products, and our investment advice will be focused on long-term diversified portfolios of mutual funds from a variety of investment companies, based solely on the client’s preferences and goals. We will provide clients with comprehensive financial planning outlined by financial planning standards, which includes everything from running a business, to planning for your child's education, to preparing for eventual retirement or estates.
James Langabeer, Ph.D. founded Yellowstone Wealth Advisors in Houston Texas, to provide financial planning and coaching for entrepreneurs, business owners, and other busy professionals who are looking for personalized service and evidence-based financial advice. He has been a CEO, software executive, company financial controller, university professor, and business strategy consultant.
His passion is to help people improve their financial behaviors and choices to help maximize the odds of achieving goals, dreams, and wealth.
His work and writing have been featured on Forbes, Psychology Today, Fox News, NBC, CBS, NPR, MoneyGeek, and NerdWallet among others.
He lives with his wife, dog, and two stepchildren in Houston Texas.
Education & Training
· Doctor of Philosophy, Management Science (Decision Sciences), University of Lancaster Management School, UK
· Oxford University, Executive Business Strategy Program
· Doctor of Education, Leadership and Org. Psychology, University of Houston
· Certified Financial Planning program, Boston University
· Master of Business Administration, Baylor University
· Executive Program, Behavioral Economics (Negotiation and Decision-Making), Harvard Business School
· B.B.A., Management, Economics and Sociology minors, The University of Texas at San Antonio
Licenses and Certifications
· Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC©)
· Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
· Registered Investment Adviser, FINRA/State of Texas
· Behavioral Financial Advisor (BFA™) designation
· Financial Planning Association
· National Association of Business Economists
· American Psychological Association